Date:      Sat, 27 Nov 1999 22:15:16 -0700 (MST)
From:      "Kenneth D. Merry" <ken@kdm.org>
To:        dgilbert@velocet.ca (David Gilbert)
Cc:        freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: ahc problems (with vinum?)

David Gilbert wrote...
> Kenneth> David Gilbert wrote...
> >> Several times, on a system I've been configuring and testing, I've
> >> got some maddening ahc0 messages.  In general, they complain of a
> >> timeout on the bus (I think some packet got lost)... and x SCBs are
> >> aborted.
> >>
> >> At this point, some portion of the SCSI bus is unusable... and the
> >> machine eventually hangs due to this.  It does claim that it's
> >> resetting channel A of the ahc0 controller, but I gather it doesn't
> >> do any good.
> >>
> >> I'm running 3.3-STABLE (as of thursday, I think) and am trying to
> >> format and test an 8-drive vinum RAID-5 array.
>
> Kenneth> You'll need to provide more information in order for anyone
> Kenneth> to make sense of your problem.  Specifically, please post any
> Kenneth> and all relevant kernel messages, including your controllers
> Kenneth> and drives and the errors you've seen printed out, explain
> Kenneth> your SCSI bus configuration, where it is terminated, etc.
>
> Kenneth> The #1 cause of problems is cabling and termination.  The
> Kenneth> second most common cause of problems is bogus drive firmware.
>
> Kenneth> In any case, check your cabling and termination, as that is
> Kenneth> most likely problem.
>
> Regardless of terminaion, the SCSI bus reset should clear
> things... the unit will run for hours just fine... get this one error
> and hang.  It is difficult to copy down all the messages --- as they
> don't get copied into the logs (since the SCSI bus is locked).

Run a serial console on the box.  You'll get all the messages that way.
Seriously, there's no way to adequately diagnose the problem without the
specific error messages in question.  There are any number of conditions
that can cause a timeout.

> The controller is the 2940 U2W --- the one with a SE and an LVD
> connector.  The LVD bus is connected to a professional 8 drive LVD
> case which is connected and terminated with the supplied cables.  The
> SE connector is connected to a single drive.

And the SE drive is terminated as well?  Are the supplied cables and
terminator for the LVD segment LVD cables/terminators?

Ken
--
Kenneth Merry
ken@kdm.org