Date:      31 Mar 2000 00:23:50 +0200
From:      naddy@mips.rhein-neckar.de (Christian Weisgerber)
To:        freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Proposed new Bourne shell init files

Doug Barton <Doug@gorean.org> wrote:

> 	Commentary on my files. . . Using allexport instead of an explicit
> 'export' for every variable makes the file easier to read, and gives a
> novice user one less thing to worry about.

I think Sue has a made a good argument against allexport.
Also, from your reply to her I suspect you didn't know about

    export VAR=value

which is what I use and would like to suggest.

> 	I added 'set -o emacs' to dot.shrc, it makes life much easier,

FWIW, "set -E" does the same in fewer letters but is a FreeBSDism.

> 	I fully realize that treading in this area is likely to provoke lenghty
> arguments, goring of cows, etc. :)

I suggest we use nails with square heads for the south side of the
bike shed.

> # Search path for cd(1)
> CDPATH=.:$HOME

Hmpf.

> # General aliases
> alias la='ls -A'
> alias lf='ls -AF'
> alias ll='ls -loaF'
> alias m=$PAGER
> alias g='egrep -i'

These are *very much* a matter of taste. I don't like a single one
of them, but then again I wouldn't want to force mine on anybody
else.

One alias I think worth considering is

    alias r='fc -s'

to provide ksh-style history access.