Date:      Wed, 31 May 1995 12:58:56 -0700
From:      "Jordan K. Hubbard" <jkh@freefall.cdrom.com>
To:        Eric Chet <echet@coil.com>
Cc:        freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: FTP Install Problems 2.0.5 ALPHA

>      I'm trying to install over FTP with a modem and ppp.  I get
> a "FTP unspecified error -1" when it tries to connect.  I switch
> to the debug screen it says "DEBUG: Connection failed: No route to host(65)"
> I'm trying to connect to ftp.FreeBSD.ORG.  I have tried every other host
> on the list with the same result :-(.  What is the IP for ftp.FreeBSD.ORG
> and FreeBSD.cdrom.com?  I would like to try them direct.

Hint:  Go to the emergency holographic shell on VTY4 and try to "ping" those
hosts directly.  It truly does sound like the default route isn't pointing
at the right place, or your ISP is confusing something.  The ppp command
on VTY3 has lots of useful commands for showing the state of the connection
(the "show" commands) which might also prove useful.

I'm looking at how I might doc this all better - anyone care to
carefully cut out the best parts of the ppp man page and put them into
a standalone (formatted) document that I might stick into the install?
I don't have time to do it myself, and using the entire doc is out of
the question - it's too big for a boot floppy! :-)

Thanks..

						Jordan