Date:      Fri, 27 Sep 2002 20:37:53 +1000
From:      "J.'LoneWolf' Mattsson" <lonewolf@earthmagic.org>
To:        Russell Rice <the-mole@attbi.com>, FreeBSD-stable@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: setrootbyname error upon install/upgrade

At 06:18 27/09/2002 -0400, Russell Rice wrote:
>I have what appears to be a strange dilemma.
>
>Mounting root from ufs:/dev/ad0s1a
>no such device 'ad'

It would seem to me that it's not detecting your IDE disk properly. Do you
see it in the boot messages (ad0)? If not, do you see the IDE controller
there (ata0)? Perhaps a verbose boot (boot -v) would give you some more
details on what mischief is going on here.

Cheers,
/Johny

            Johny Mattsson                  / \__/\
        lonewolf@earthmagic.org           /'     , :
       http://www.earthmagic.org         ;   ( o   o
    irc.sorcery.net:9000 as LoneWolf     /   ,   ~. \
Software Developer / Support Engineer  / (  `- ..__"