Date:      Mon, 29 Dec 2003 10:18:18 +0100 (CET)
From:      Olaf Hoyer <ohoyer@gaff.hhhr.ision.net>
To:        Hideki Yamamoto <yamamoto436@oki.com>
Cc:        freebsd-hardware@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Link up problem between 1000base-SX(bge) and SUN

On Mon, 29 Dec 2003, Hideki Yamamoto wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I'm having a problem about link up between 1000base-SX(bge) and SUN.
>
> I tried yesterday's 4.9-stable on a FreeBSD box with two 3COM
> 3C996-SXs and two onboard BMC5703 chips.  Two 3COM 3C996-SX board link
> went up, but the other side, a 1000base-SX I/F on SUN F280 did not go
> up.  When doing ping command to SUN from FreeBSD box, LED on 3C996
> were brinking but nothing happened to SUN board.  I changed bge0 to
> bge2, but the situation was the same.  Hardware diagram is as follows.
> bge0 can send or receive packates to the router or another PC with
> intel SX board.
>
> Is this related to AUTO negotiation?

Hi!

Sometimes SUN cards are a bit picky.
But, lets start gathering additional data:

I assume you have a ge-card in, or which card are you using in the 280?
The man page says that autoneg is performed, but chooses :

<quote from ge(7D)>
The GEM PCS is capable of performing  auto-negotiation
     using the remote (or link partner) link end and receives the
     capabilities
      of the remote end. It selects the  highest common demonina-
     tor  mode  of  operation  based on priorities. The ge driver
     also supports forced-mode operation under which  the  driver
     selects the mode of operation

</quote>

I assume that the interface is plumbed, and shows up in ifconfig as
well, could you also post the snippet of the ifconfig entry?

> I cannot find any parameters about AUTO negotiation in 'bge' driver
> source.  I checked Linux 2.4.22 kernel source and have found the
> several code about auto negotiation.  I wonder if a linux box works
> well.  I do not need full support of auto negotiation, but sample code
> that handles auto negotiation with Solaris machine.

in bge(4) it is stated, that the bge's also support autoneg over a
cross-cable-config (which this basically is).

But: have a look at the link0 option there (can be adjusted via
ifconfig) normally, autoneg shall do, but over a cross-cable you need to
designate one end being master, other end being slave.

My suspicion is, that autoneg procedure somewhere fails, and you should
try to set the bge to be link master.

Just my 0.02 EUR

--
Olaf Hoyer        ohoyer@gaff.hhhr.ision.net
Fuerchterliche Erlebniss geben zu raten,