Date:      Tue, 4 Mar 1997 14:59:03 -0800
From:      "Richard Daszkowski" <daz@smartlink.net>
To:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   (Fwd) Re: Are multi-session cdrom's supported?

Paul T. Root wrote:
> In a previous message, Doug White said:
> > On Tue, 4 Mar 1997, Ben Stuyts wrote:
> >
> > > I am unable to read the second session under FreeBSD; I can only see the data
> > > from the first session. However, df shows that the disc has the correct
> > > amount of data on it. du on the mount point only shows the data for the first
> > > session. I tried mounting /dev/cd0a and /dev/cd0c. No difference.
> >
> > To be honest, I don't think they're supported.

My understanding of multi-session CD's are that it is the *drive*
itself that is responsible for recognizing a multi-session recorded
CD. Some cheaper/older drives do not read multisession.
Only the *last* session is viewable, though, without special
software.

> > Why would you have multiple ISO9660 filesystems on the same CD?  Isn't
> > that a bit of a waste of space?  I know of having multiple different FSs
> > (ie, PC and Mac on one disc).
>
> That's not what it it. multi-session just means that you didn't burn
> everything on the CDR at once. What happens is that table of contents (or
> whatever it is called) is re-written.

True, the TOC is written again, however, all of the other TOC's
("sessions") and the files written are still present on the CD
(obviously).

On reason you may not be able to read the latest "session" written to
the CD is the CD has not been "fixated". You can try doing that, or
try "write-protecting" it also.

Richard Daszkowski
<fbsdl@unionsoft.com>