Date:      Mon, 19 Nov 2001 16:30:01 -0800 (PST)
From:      David Taylor <davidt@yadt.co.uk>
To:        freebsd-ports@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: ports/30431: ircd-hybrid fails to open logfile when started as root and running as non-root

The following reply was made to PR ports/30431; it has been noted by GNATS.

From: David Taylor <davidt@yadt.co.uk>
To: FreeBSD-gnats-submit@freebsd.org
Date: Tue, 20 Nov 2001 00:16:30 +0000

 On Sat, 08 Sep 2001, kutulu wrote:
 > ircd-hybrid attempts to open the logfile after it has switched it's userid.  In the case where the logfile is in a
 > standard place, like /var/log, that is not world-writeable, this fails.  Such is the case for the BSD port.
 > >How-To-Repeat:
 > Install the ircd-hybrid port and check the startup messages.  Cannot open /var/log/ircd.log
 > >Fix:
 > Open the log file before switching userids.  (I have sent this patch to the hybrid developers but it didn't make it
 > into hybrid6 either)

 Since gnats-submit got missed off the CC list somewhere, this is just to
 confirm this PR can be closed, as ircd hybrid should have write permission
 to it's log dirs, as it needs to open new logfiles occasionaly.  Running
 ircd as root (with or without the setuid/gid code) is also unsupported and
 not recommended.

 --
 David Taylor
 davidt@yadt.co.uk