Date:      Mon, 02 Oct 2000 16:52:54 -0700
From:      xavian anderson macpherson <professional3d@home.com>
To:        "freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG" <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>, cwasser@v-wave.com
Subject:   RE: response from Chris Wasser cwasser@v-wave.com

--------------84514BEA60422255A722FCCD

On Mon, Oct 02, 2000 at 02:52:05PM -0700, xavian anderson macpherson
wrote:
> how do you consider me to have been yelling?  I APOPLOGIZED.  i am
fully
> aware of the kld for vinum.  but you still have to define it.  i just
> want to know if this can be or is done during installation?

It's quite apparent you haven't been online for any extended period of
time. Phrases done in capitals are considered yelling
which most people will interpret as an antagonistic approach and will
treat you accordingly.

The biggest part to using FreeBSD effectively is research. This isn't
Microsoft Windows or Linux, here you have to work for results, not run
some configuration wizard. There are mailing list archives online at
www.freebsd.org which you can search for others who have run across your
problem (and more then likely, answered) or you can take the time to
read manpages. There are also quite a few FreeBSD support websites such
as www.freebsdzine.org which has plenty of tutorials and I know for a
fact it has one on vinum.

If this sounds like too much work for you, perhaps you should go back to
using Linux or some other operating system which caters to the lazy.

i geuss the person who wrote this thinks that by not capitalizing, that
his speach could not be offensive.  language is not so much a thing of
formality and ritual.  to be effective, it must be a tool for the
conveyance of concepts from one individual to another.  if there is
anything that i know, is that yes i can be lazy.  does that mean that we
should have never invented or implemented indoor plumbing?  or what
about electricity.  where would you be without that.  the whole purpose
of having computers, is to enhance the productivity of the individual.
however, i am not lazy when i comes to my selection of products.  and
whether you care to admit it or not, freebsd is a product.  one which by
the way i paid for.  i brought it to enhance my productivity.  not to
ponder the meaning of life and the wonders of the universe (before i
could use it); that is unless it helps me do that later by choice, not
demand.  the implementation of methodology is the responsibility of the
developer, not the user.  as a programmer, i know that my programs are
of no use if they can't be easily understood.  see below.

Try helping yourself first before asking others for help, anything and
everything you want to do in FreeBSD is documented
somewhere, all you have to do is look. If necessary, go buy Greg's
excellent The Complete FreeBSD which for the most part does
all the hand-holding you'll need, and it's effective I know, I've given
the book to my clients who lived in a double-click
world and can now use FreeBSD well enough to get their jobs done which
is a major accomplishment considering these are the
kind of people who couldn't figure out drag and drop.

i have the very book that refered to.  and i have been reading it.  and
if there is anything that i enjoy doing, it is research.  but i should
not have to do research to use a can-opener.  now granted, i have not
tried starting my system yet with the freebsd installation disks.  and
my questions have nothing to do with laziness, but instead a desire for
being fully prepared.  now granted, i realize that many of you would not
have responded to this (me) if i had not made the remarks that i made.
but i made them, and apologized.  so now i would rather get on with the
process.  however i realize some people would rather criticize than be
helpful.  it is matter of thinking they are better than someone else
because they are more knowledgable.  pompous!  that very thinking is
what's keeping us in the darkages (intellectually).

did you ever hear of the edict `keep it simple stupid'?  as i have
pointed out to others, computing has become what it is today because of
gui's.  the whole premise to them is the practice of intuitiveness.
it's kind of like the (exspensive) tests that the car companies did
searching for a simple solution to getting children out of a car trunk
once they locked themselves in.  the answer was as simple as a door
handle like the one that was inside of the car.  they `stumbled' upon
this after doing exstensive research on the viability of other seemingly
ingenious techniques.  none of which the children comprehended.  they
simply were not intuitive.

it's not a matter of wanting someone else to think or work for me.  i
just want them to recognize that there are societal conventions which
dictate how the greater public interacts with their environment; and
those conventions should not be changed expressly for the sake of
change, but rather simplicity.  if the freebsd community wants to be
nothing more than a collection of academics, then you should definately
continue on the path of this person's isolation, invariably alienating
all those who you claim are too ignorant to appreciate or understand the
grandiosity of your intellectual endowments.  frankly, i have always
encouraged questions.  it (they) are the foundation of progress.  if
however you believe you have achieved all and are all. then i geuss you
have something i can only dream of; PERFECTION!  all praise to you.  may
i one day live up to the high and lofty standard to which you have
achieved.

I tend to get a little irked when I see people who expect everything to
be done for them who haven't even BOTHERED to research
the problem (and you're certainly not the first one to do this)
themselves before demanding support from other people who
devote thousands of man-hours towards producing the excellent product
that FreeBSD is, if you want end-user support, I'm sure
Microsoft is more then willing to oblidge you. The information is all
there, go do some digging.

Anyways, just my two cents worth.

Private replies >/dev/null 2>&1

--------------84514BEA60422255A722FCCD

xavian anderson macpherson wrote:</font>
yelling?&nbsp; I APOPLOGIZED.&nbsp; i am fully</font>
you still have to define it.&nbsp; i just</font>
during installation?</font>
for any extended period of time. Phrases done in capitals are considered
yelling</font>
antagonistic approach and will treat you accordingly.</font>
is research. This isn't Microsoft Windows or Linux, here you have to work
for results, not run some configuration wizard. There are mailing list
archives online at www.freebsd.org which you can search for others who
have run across your problem (and more then likely, answered) or you can
take the time to read manpages. There are also quite a few FreeBSD support
websites such as www.freebsdzine.org which has plenty of tutorials and
I know for a fact it has one on vinum.</font>
perhaps you should go back to using Linux or some other operating system
which caters to the lazy.</font>
wrote this thinks that by not capitalizing, that his speach could not be
offensive.&nbsp; language is not so much a thing of formality and ritual.&nbsp;
to be effective, it must be a tool for the conveyance of concepts from
one individual to another.&nbsp; if there is anything that i know, is that
yes i can be lazy.&nbsp; does that mean that we should have never invented
or implemented indoor plumbing?&nbsp; or what about electricity.&nbsp;
where would you be without that.&nbsp; the whole purpose of having computers,
is to enhance the productivity of the individual.&nbsp; however, i am not
lazy when i comes to my selection of products.&nbsp; and whether you care
to admit it or not, freebsd is a product.&nbsp; one which by the way i
paid for.&nbsp; i brought it to enhance my productivity.&nbsp; not to ponder
the meaning of life and the wonders of the universe (before i could use
it); that is unless it helps me do that later by choice, not demand.&nbsp;
the implementation of methodology is the responsibility of the developer,
not the user.&nbsp; as a programmer, i know that my programs are of no
others for help, anything and everything you want to do in FreeBSD is documented</font>
If necessary, go buy Greg's excellent The Complete FreeBSD which for the
most part does</font>
it's effective I know, I've given the book to my clients who lived in a
double-click</font>
to get their jobs done which is a major accomplishment considering these
are the</font>
drag and drop.</font>
refered to.&nbsp; and i have been reading it.&nbsp; and if there is anything
that i enjoy doing, it is research.&nbsp; but i should not have to do research
to use a can-opener.&nbsp; now granted, i have not tried starting my system
yet with the freebsd installation disks.&nbsp; and my questions have nothing
to do with laziness, but instead a desire for being fully prepared.&nbsp;
now granted, i realize that many of you would not have responded to this
(me) if i had not made the remarks that i made.&nbsp; but i made them,
and apologized.&nbsp; so now i would rather get on with the process.&nbsp;
however i realize some people would rather criticize than be helpful.&nbsp;
it is matter of thinking they are better than someone else because they
are more knowledgable.&nbsp; pompous!&nbsp; that very thinking is what's
edict `keep it simple stupid'?&nbsp; as i have pointed out to others, computing
has become what it is today because of gui's.&nbsp; the whole premise to
them is the practice of intuitiveness.&nbsp; it's kind of like the (exspensive)
tests that the car companies did searching for a simple solution to getting
children out of a car trunk once they locked themselves in.&nbsp; the answer
was as simple as a door handle like the one that was inside of the car.&nbsp;
they `stumbled' upon this after doing exstensive research on the viability
of other seemingly ingenious techniques.&nbsp; none of which the children
someone else to think or work for me.&nbsp; i just want them to recognize
that there are societal conventions which dictate how the greater public
interacts with their environment; and those conventions should not be changed
expressly for the sake of change, but rather simplicity.&nbsp; if the freebsd
community wants to be nothing more than a collection of academics, then
you should definately continue on the path of this person's isolation,
invariably alienating all those who you claim are too ignorant to appreciate
or understand the grandiosity of your intellectual endowments.&nbsp; frankly,
i have always encouraged questions.&nbsp; it (they) are the foundation
of progress.&nbsp; if however you believe you have achieved all and are
all. then i geuss you have something i can only dream of; PERFECTION!&nbsp;
all praise to you.&nbsp; may i one day live up to the high and lofty standard
people who expect everything to be done for them who haven't even BOTHERED
to research</font>
the first one to do this) themselves before demanding support from other
people who</font>
producing the excellent product that FreeBSD is, if you want end-user support,
I'm sure</font>
you. The information is all there, go do some digging.</font>
the body of the message</font>