Date:      Fri, 25 Aug 95 11:37:47 EAT
From:      Yen-Wei Liu <ywliu@lin.wsl.sinica.edu.tw>
To:        cp_nairn@cc.utas.edu.au (Carey Nairn)
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: matcd driver in 2.0.5-RELEASE

> Hi
>
> I tried to boot off the 2.0.5 boot floppy and couldn't get past the stage
> where the matcd controller was probed.  The message I got was
>
> matcd0: get_stat: after reading status byte, bus didn't go idle ff f 230
>
> I have a 100% compatible (as far as I know) sound blaster card and a
> creative quad speed IDE CD ROM.  The card is a Vibra 16 (with Creative
> Technology printed on the card).  I would really like to be able to get
> this CD ROM going as I intend to get a subscription for the BSD CD's if
> it works.
>
> Any help with this would be great...

What I have done with my matcd was : borrowing a SCSI CD-ROM and a SCSI card,
installing FreeBSD 2.05R, grabbing the new matcd driver from -current,
recompiling a new kernel.

Apparently the 2.05R driver doesn't like your interface or CD driver, just
as my situation here.

--
Yen-Wei Liu
Internet e-mail address:ywliu@beta.wsl.sinica.edu.tw