Date:      Sat, 9 May 1998 17:04:41 +0200 (CEST)
From:      Remy NONNENMACHER <remy@synx.com>
To:        dwilde1@ibm.net
Cc:        jkh@time.cdrom.com, opsys@mail.webspan.net, freebsd-advocacy@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: *sigh* Anyone else see this article?

On  8 May, Don Wilde wrote:
> Jordan K. Hubbard wrote:
>>
>> > This is just getting depressing :)
>> >
>> > http://www.wired.com/news/news/business/story/12187.html
>>
>> Why?  Sounds good to me!  We can then run all this stuff!
>>
>> People have to stop thinking of additional Linux market penetration as
>> such a bad thing - it's "paving the road" for us in a number of areas
>> where we'd just plain and simply NOT be able to go otherwise.  Do you
>
> I agree with that thought, but I see trouble in the longer term. What
> this is doing is shifting the battlefield, and faster than we would have
> thought. People will see that it works. NCI will bring out their version
> with Free/OpenBSD, and Sun will finally open-source the Java OS The new
> battleground will be hardware which runs free software. The old
> (software) dinosaurs can't compete in this battleground. M$ will die,
> because they can't expose the fact that the Emperor has no d*** under
> his fancy clothes. Hardware architectures will become the next weapons,
> and (I hate to say it) unless Intel or Oracle really move quickly to
> dominate this battle, Linux will have the advantage because it runs on
> all, from StrongARM to P-II. The user wants universality, not ultimate
> performance. We need to see where we can go in this scenario, where we
> should position ourselves.

I'm not really sure users want universality. They would not stick so
massively with wintel. FreeBSD can lead the server group by focusing
effort on SMP, high-end processors (PII,ALPHA,MERCED no more, no less),
GUI for administration, new filesystems types, etc... and let linux
lead the workstation group where brightness, PR, versatility is needed
but so energy-consuming.

Linux success will help us in two ways: getting users out of the M$
integrism and having them adopt the idea that free software *IS* better
than proprietary. For the moment, the war is M$ vs Linux. Let's keep
away from shrapnels and let's be prepared to grap the NT portion of the
future defunct.