Date:      Sun, 26 Sep 1999 12:00:01 -0700 (PDT)
From:      "Steven G. Kargl" <kargl@troutmask.apl.washington.edu>
To:        freebsd-doc@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: docs/13333: remove rtld(1) XREF in dlopen.3

The following reply was made to PR docs/13333; it has been noted by GNATS.

From: "Steven G. Kargl" <kargl@troutmask.apl.washington.edu>
To: phantom@cris.net (Alexey Zelkin)
Cc: freebsd-doc@FreeBSD.ORG, FreeBSD-gnats-submit@FreeBSD.ORG
Date: Sun, 26 Sep 1999 11:52:21 -0700 (PDT)

 Once upon a time, Alexey Zelkin said:
 > hi,
 >
 > On Sat, Sep 25, 1999 at 06:40:01PM -0700, Steven G. Kargl wrote:
 >
 > >  > rtld(1) is in libexec/rtld-aout.  This is only built if OBJFORMAT ==
 > >  > aout.
 > >  >
 > >  > I don't know this chunk of the system.  The proper fix might be to
 > >  > have an aout specific dlopen(3) and an ELF specific dlopen(3).  If
 > >  > you enquire on -hackers we can probably work out the best course of
 > >  > action.
 > >  >

 > >  On a FreeBSD-current with the default ELF format, rtld.1 is not installed.
 > >  Perhaps, rtld.1 should be installed into share/man/man1aout?
 > >  Otherwise, the .Xr in dlopen(3) points to a man page that does not
 > >  exist.
 >
 > You have to install compatXX dist to get this manpage installed. I not sure
 > that we will do any specific actions with rtld.1 (like installing to man1aout)
 > because we already have such precendents -- "man kerberos" is good one.
 >
 > May I close PR ?

 Sure.  Close the PR.

 I update my systems via "make world", and I went from aout to
 elf format via "make update; make world".  I have the equivalent
 of the compatXX installed on my system with respect to the binaries
 and libraries.  I do not have rtld.1 except in /usr/src/whatever.
 The .Xr to rtld(1) in dlopen(3) should be removed on a FreeBSD-current
 system.

 --
 Steve