Date:      Thu, 4 Dec 1997 15:17:34 -0500
From:      Brad Karp <karp@eecs.harvard.edu>
To:        freebsd-mobile@freebsd.org
Subject:   2.2-STABLE boot floppy that supports PCMCIA ed card?

I've several IBM 380-series laptops that work quite well with PAO (I
actually ported PAO for 2.2.2 to 2.2.5 about three weeks ago, and have
been using that, though it appears "official" PAO for 2.2.5 has just been
released).

However, I wanted to give 2.2-STABLE a try.

Trouble is, I have a Linksys Ethernet combo card that appears to have a
different CIS tuple than most people's Linksys cards. The standard PAO
pccard.conf doesn't recognize it. I had to tweak the entry in my 2.2.X-PAO
systems to have the card recognized, after which it worked swimmingly.

I have a new 380D (i.e., it has no FreeBSD on it at all), and I want to install
2.2-STABLE (a SNAP as of 12/4). But I find that:

	- the 12/4 boot.flp from 2.2-STABLE won't recognize my Linksys PCMCIA
	  Ethernet card at all
	- the 2.2.2-PAO boot floppy has a pccard.conf compiled into it that
	  doesn't recognize my Linksys PCMCIA Ethernet card
	- there's no 2.2.5-PAO boot floppy available yet

(In case you're wondering how I was ever able to get FreeBSD installed on my
_other_ 380s with this Linksys card, I used a 3C589D to do those initial
PAO installations, and switched to the Linksys card later, because it supports
hardware Ethernet multicast filtering, unlike the lame 3C589D. But I don't
have the 3C589Ds at my disposal anymore.)

I know there was some traffic in November on this, when it was suggested
that the querier, who _already_ had FreeBSD on his system, pull the changes
via cvsup and rebuild/reinstall that way.

So, at the risk of repeating the November question: is there really no boot
floppy that recognizes PCMCIA ed cards? How hard could it be to make 2.2-
STABLE support this?

All suggestions appreciated,
-Brad, karp@eecs.harvard.edu