Date:      Tue, 31 Jul 2012 12:51:22 +0600
From:      "Eugene M. Zheganin" <emz@norma.perm.ru>
To:        freebsd-net@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Uanble to use mpd5 as a gateway VPN, FreeBSD

Hi.

On 30.07.2012 20:14, Bernard Higonnet wrote:
> Hello,
>
> Hope this is the right place to mail...
>
> I have two networks A and B.
>
> One machine on A runs an MPD5 server.
>
> On network B I have machine X which has an MPD5 client used to
> establish a connection the VPN server on machine Z in network A. Seems
> to work fine (ping, ssh, etc.). This machine is also set up as a
> gateway. When I look at the routing table, it looks OK, all references
> to A being sent to Z.
>
> On network B I also have machine Y. On this machine I have added a
> route which specifies that network A is to accessed via machine X.
>
> It would appear (sic) that requests from Y to a machine on A are
> received by that machine. However, nothing ever comes back.
>
> All these machines are running FreeBSD, 8 on Z, and 9.0 on X and Y.
>
> I'm hoping I have forgotten some very obvious thing which a kind soul
> will point out to me so I don't have to tcpdump everything all over
> the place...

So.... Z is an mpd, X is a client, Y is a machine behind a client. X
sees Z, Y doesn't see Z because Z isn't answering, however, Z sees
incoming packets.
My guess - Z doesn't know where is the B network, as when X is
exchanging packets with Z, it does it by using it's p2p-address.

Try to see the output of 'route -n get <B network ip address>' on Z.
If I'm right - add a route, via bundle matching or via up-script, or
manually, or use nat on X.

Eugene.