Date:      Sun, 20 Jul 2003 16:40:01 +0200
From:      Alexander Marx <mad-ml@madness.at>
To:        naroz@gmx.net
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: IBM xSeries 345 freezes after 15 min. (4.8, 5.0, 5.1, current)

naroz@gmx.net wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I'm really depressed and hope someone can help me here.

make sure you are running with the latest bios, they fixed quite
a few issues wrt keyboard-input and console-redirection and stuff ...

see http://www-3.ibm.com/pc/support/site.wss/MIGR-43902.html

we also had problems with some recent x305en until we updated the
bios to a version dated after 2003-06-19. linux 2.4 worked fine on
them, but booting a 2.5.x kernel always resulted in an i8042
(keyboard) related oops. the newer bios fixed that.

> Hardware:
> IBM xSeries 345 Server, 2 x Xeon 2.8 GHz 533, 2 x 512MB IBM ECC RAM, ICP
> Vortex GDT8514RZ RAID, 5 x IBM 36GB HDD U320. The server comes with an IBM
> serveRaid 5-i controller but I replaced it with the ICP controller, because of the
> known FreeBSD ips driver bug.

hm .. we are running them with the onboard mpt-fusion scsi-raid
controller .. seems to work fine with fbsd 4.8; never tried a 5.x
on them.

> Thanks.

hth,
alex.