Date:      Sun, 6 May 2007 03:00:54 -0500
From:      linimon@lonesome.com (Mark Linimon)
To:        Garrett Cooper <youshi10@u.washington.edu>
Cc:        freebsd-ports <freebsd-ports@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: Question about fields in INDEX files

The output from each port's "make describe" is documented at the
"describe" target in:

http://www.freebsd.org/cgi/cvsweb.cgi/ports/Mk/bsd.port.mk

This is changed to a different format (a historical bug, too late to fix
now because of POLA) via "make index" from ports/Makefile by the following
script (see the "foreach" block at the end):

http://www.freebsd.org/cgi/cvsweb.cgi/ports/Tools/make_index

I will send you portsmon's portsIndexUtils.py file that you can work from
to figure out this mess.  (I don't see any reason to post it to the list).

mcl