Date:      Mon, 22 Jun 1998 10:35:46 +0200 (MET DST)
From:      Jens Schweikhardt <schweikh@noc.dfn.de>
To:        ahd@kew.com (Drew Derbyshire)
Cc:        jkh@time.cdrom.com, stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: CD-ROM layout

hello, world\n

# On Sat, 20 Jun 1998 22:33:08 -0700, "Jordan K. Hubbard" <jkh@time.cdrom.com> w
rote:
      ahd@kew.com:
# > > I remain VERY unhappy the discs are not labeled properly with the
# > > specific disc contents -- the doc bug I cut on this was closed without
# >
# > Try reading the README files.
#
# Read the PR that you closed for the multiple steps checking all four
# CD-ROMs require.  I did load the CD-ROM's and did an "ls", and just did
# check the README file on disc 1 -- it does not define the layout, but
# puts the user at the LAYOUT file, which in turn fails to describe all
# four discs.
#
# (I would suggest the root document files on every CD-ROM include the
# layouts of all CD-ROM's in the set in the future; whether this requires
# a longer LAYOUT file or distinct LAYOUT files is up to the person doing
# the enhancement.)
#
# > And stop whining, for god's sake,
# > You accomplish nothing useful in this posting.
#
# The post asked a specific question, which was the existence and location
# of the unpacked sources on the discs.  This was Nth-level of my real
# problems for the day (SPAM->sendmail 8.9->m4->src->CD layout), and the
# related comment pointed out how the lack of labeling affected real use
# of the CD-ROM's.
#
# I never did get a response to my question, but I bothered to close the
# issue (until your note arrived) with my own follow-up note.
#
# -ahd-
# --
# Internet:       ahd@kew.com             Voice:          781-279-9812
#
#  Be careful, the last person using this keyboard had a terminal disease.
#
# To Unsubscribe: send mail to majordomo@FreeBSD.org
# with "unsubscribe freebsd-stable" in the body of the message
#

I think ahd has a point here. One more datapoint for Jordan:
I'm a subscription user too, and one of the first things I do
is 'find /cdrom -ls > cd1' etc to grep for. Now that the distfiles
are distributed among 2 cds, this is inalienable. This is the
longest week I have ever seen :-)

Regards,

--
Jens Schweikhardt  http://www.shuttle.de/schweikh/