Date:      Wed, 30 Jul 1997 22:32:18 +1000
From:      James Seng <jseng@pobox.org.sg>
To:        Adam Shostack <adam@homeport.org>, jdn@qiv.com (Jay D. Nelson)
Cc:        adam@homeport.org, robert+freebsd@cyrus.watson.org, vince@mail.MCESTATE.COM, security@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: security hole in FreeBSD

At 09:06 PM 7/29/97 -0400, Adam Shostack wrote:
>	Let me be clear; I don't have anything against UUCP users, but
>most people don't need it turned on.  Since its parts of it are
>setuid, (and thus potential security holes) I think its a reasonable
>to suggest that it ship either not setuid or as an install option.

I have not heard of any request for the use UUCP from my users nor is my
UUCP binaries been used in the last few years...I think the time when lease
line is expensive, when university work with 9,600bps (wow) connection and
when UUCP rules the earth is over...we have to let it go and look forward. *8)

I have nothing against UUCP of cos but it is always nice if we can reduce
the base distribution size by letting some of the less often used stuff away.

*cheers*

-James Seng