Date:      Mon, 02 Feb 2004 15:46:59 -0500
From:      Jonathan Chappelow <jcchapp@emory.edu>
To:        Bjorn Eikeland <bjorn@eikeland.info>
Cc:        freebsd-net@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: defect onboard broadcom causing boot hang

Bjorn Eikeland wrote:

> I've just changed to using freebsd on my desktop pc, my Asus A7V8X
> motherboad has a onboard Broadcom chip - this just stopped working under
> windows and turned into a unknown device. Asus or vendor's support never
> replied so I just picked up a new fxp card.

Depending on the options, this board either has BCM4401 or BCM5702.
Note "(optional)" written on the box next to Gigabit LAN.  My old Asus
P4PE had the BCM4401 and I had a lot of trouble with buggy drivers
(*bfe*).  The gigabit chip (BCM5702) uses bge.  Try adding both to the
kernel with mii to see if either works.  Also, their might be a more
detailed part number on a sticker somewhere.

> pciconf shows this device to be a:
> none0@pci0:9:0: class=0x008000 card=0x80008000 chip=0x800014e4
> rev=0x01 hdr=0x00
>     vendor   = 'Broadcom Corporation'
>     class    = old

According to pciids.sourceforge.net and www.pcidatabase.com,
chip=0x800014e4 is unidentified.  vendor 14e4 is Broadcom, but device id
8000 is a mystery.  Although, this is close:
http://pciids.sourceforge.net/iii/?i=14e44401.  Good luck with that.
You may just need to edit the code and add a device id?

Jon