Date:      Thu, 3 Dec 1998 00:04:08 +1100
From:      Bruce Evans <bde@zeta.org.au>
To:        bde@zeta.org.au, jkh@zippy.cdrom.com
Cc:        current@FreeBSD.ORG, dillon@apollo.backplane.com
Subject:   Re: Uh oh...

>> `make world' is not permitted to change /etc.  Especially not
>> /etc/master.passwd when installing to DESTDIR=/mnt/root.
>
>Normally I'd agree, but...  Your counter-suggestion?

`vipw' is good enough for bootstrapping to -current.

For 2.2.5R we apparently required manual configuration to add group
network which is required for at least the installation of ppp.
This didn't seem to cause many problems.  `make release' should
use a new version of /etc/passwd in the chroot tree so it shouldn't
be affected.

Bruce