Date:      Mon, 20 Sep 1999 17:24:41 -0500
From:      Ade Lovett <ade@lovett.com>
To:        Warner Losh <imp@village.org>
Cc:        freebsd-mobile@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Combo 100Base-T Ethernet/10 BaseT Ethernet/Modem/ISDN cards

[cc's trimmed.  not really Xircom-specific any more]

On Mon, Sep 20, 1999 at 04:08:28PM -0600, Warner Losh wrote:
> In message <19990920151102.J392@remarq.com> Ade Lovett writes:
> :
> : 	mfbus0: <Xircom Multifunction Card> at pccard slot X irq Y
> : 	xe0: <Xircom Realport Ethernet> at mfbus0 ...
> : 	sio1: <Xircom Realport Modem> at mfbus0 ...
>
> I don't like this.  There are more than a few multi-function cards out
> there so the ability for each pccard/cardbus slot to have multiple
> children needs to be supported...

Absolutely.  Hence the abstraction to an 'mfbus'.  Provided (and I
realise this is an absolutely huge 'if'), there is at least some
degree of consistency in which the way multi-function cards are
implemented, surely this approach offers the cleanest way in to the
underlying devices.

mfbus would be made up of two components, the generic core to which
the underlying devices would be attached, and an implementation-specific
part (mfbus_3com, mfbus_xircom etc.)

> The last thing in the world that I
> want is to have 100 different attachments for sio1 (one for Xircom,
> one for 3com, one for hayes, etc, etc, etc).

Agreed.  Though in this case, surely we'd only have to provide one
extra attachment (to mfbus_core) ?

More bluntly, what are the alternative approaches?

It seems that we're actually at a good point (what with the sio/nsio stuff)
to not only work out the issues with pccard modems, but also to work out a
good API into the CIS and memory mapping (so I can unbreak the -current if_xe)
and deal with Cardbus and multifunction cards.

Looking at any of these issues (and the hundreds I have undoubtedly
missed) in isolation is likely to cause us more pain and anguish down
the road.

Judging by the amount of input on this thread, it certainly seems as
though there's a willingness to get this sorted, no?

-aDe

--
Ade Lovett, Austin, TX.