Date:      Thu, 27 Jun 2002 13:12:08 -0700 (PDT)
From:      obrien@freebsd.org
To:        audit@freebsd.org, obrien@freebsd.org, gcc-gnats@gcc.gnu.org, gcc-prs@gcc.gnu.org, current@freebsd.org, jhb@freebsd.org, gcc-bugs@gcc.gnu.org, nobody@gcc.gnu.org
Subject:   Re: optimization/6627: -fno-align-functions regression from 2.95

rth said at http://gcc.gnu.org/ml/gcc/2002-05/msg00989.html he would not
raise the priority for 3.1.1.  But this is a regression and I hope maybe
something can be done about it.  Maybe a fix based on a #define one must
explicitly turn on when building GCC.

I do not see why a fix cannot go in (in some form).  If a C++ user asks for
an alignment of `1' then give it to them -- since when has C/C++ been about
not letting the user shoot their foot off?  Or, can't the fix take into
account that I am compiling C and not C++?

This regression is still causing us problems in FreeBSD's boot code due to
the larger size the code produces.  I'm sure this could be an issue for
some embedded users.