Date:      Tue, 23 Mar 2004 01:14:19 -0500 (EST)
From:      John Wehle <john@feith.com>
To:        christoph.schnauss@berlin.de
Cc:        freebsd-multimedia@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Hauppauge WinTV PVR 250 for FreeBSD 5.2

> But: this is only the driver.

Correct.

> Just now I'll need a program like xawtv (e.g. from ports/multimedia/xawtv),
> which is working fine with BT8xx-Cards.

The BT8xx-Cards are very different devices ... they supply raw video and
don't directly digitize audio.  The PVR 250 / 350 cards supply MPEG audio
/ video.  Applications for the BT8xx-Cards will not work for the PVR 250
/ 350 cards.

MPlayer currently works with the cxm driver as long as you have a
way of setting the channel (i.e. using the setchannel utility).  It
should be a simple matter to create tvi_bsdcxm.c from tvi_bsdbt848.c
so that mplayer can control the channels.

I'm using a web based VCR application I wrote in C and PHP to record
programs.  It's not whizzy, however it gets the job done.  If you're
interested I can send you a copy.

> You asked for broadcasts. May be it helps, to have a look of the sources
> of xawtv, which has some lists.

You can certainly try using those lists.  It should be an easy change
for you to make setchannel support looking up the frequency and use
TVTUNER_SETFREQ in place of TVTUNER_SETCHNL.

-- John
|   Feith Systems  |   Voice: 1-215-646-8000  |  Email: john@feith.com  |
|    John Wehle    |     Fax: 1-215-540-5495  |                         |