Date:      Tue, 26 Sep 2006 18:27:59 +0200
From:      Erik Norgaard <norgaard@locolomo.org>
To:        Desmond Coughlan <coughlandesmond@yahoo.fr>
Cc:        Jerry McAllister <jerrymc@msu.edu>, freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: RE : Re: problem installing on i386

Desmond Coughlan wrote:

>   So on the second disk drive, which is around.. 20GB, IIRC, we want /mail, /sql and /forums, and maybe 512M of swap.  On the first, system files etc. and swap.  I
used to tinker around with postgreSQL, so that'll be what we'll be using.

>   How does that sound?

1) You will find maintenance easier if you stick to default location for
storing stuff, so mount your partitions on those mountpoints: By default
user's mboxes goes in /var/mail, databases in /var/db.

2) You might then consider making your second disk dedicated to /var
entirely rather than fragment in multiple partitions.

3) I recall on your original list you had swap on both disks, this may
or may not have any impact on performance compared to just one swap on
the first disk.

I would do something like this:

ad0s1:
/        128MB
swap     512MB
/usr    6144MB
/tmp     512MB

ad1s1:
/home   4092MB
/share  4092MB
/var    4092MB

The /share is non-default, I like to have this for groups. Say your
organisation have various working groups, files belonging to those
should not reside in users home-dir, but rather be shared among all
members.

The above has some further advantages: on the second disk is all the
data users create, you can wipe ad0 in a reinstall if needed, there you
only need to restore config-files in /etc and /usr/local/etc.

Cheers, Erik
--
Ph: +34.666334818                      web: http://www.locolomo.org
X.509 Certificate: http://www.locolomo.org/crt/8D03551FFCE04F0C.crt