Date:      Wed, 14 Aug 2002 10:05:26 -0400
From:      Barney Wolff <barney@tp.databus.com>
To:        Matthias Trevarthan <trevarthan@wingnet.net>
Cc:        freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: setting up a CVSup repository

This can be done, as another poster has indicated.  But it may be too
much effort for what you want to accomplish.  There are multiple ways
to administer a collection of FreeBSD systems without having each one
do its own cvsup:

1.  As you asked, set up your own cvsup mirror.  It seems to me that
this is the way to go only if the systems that will be using it are
not under your direct supervision.

2.  Do cvsup of the cvs archive on one machine, then have others do
their own remote CVS checkouts from the archive on that.  This is simpler
in some ways on the server, and really no harder on the clients.  It
allows you to build current and stable and cpu flavors, as you wish.

3.  cvsup on one machine, build on that, and have all the others
NFS mount /usr/src, /usr/obj and /usr/ports.  This has the feature
that you control which version is in use and saves a lot of time on
all the client machines.  It is clearly the way to go if all the
machines are under your supervision and you're willing to build
stuff that will run on all your cputypes - the optimizations available
for each type are really minor within the x86 family so the loss
of the last inch of performance is worth the generality, imho.  I
build separate kernels for each x86 flavor but a common world.

I actually do #2 but only do the checkout on the local machine and
build there.

--
Barney Wolff
I'm available by contract or FT:  http://www.databus.com/bwresume.pdf