Date:      Tue, 27 Nov 2007 16:35:32 +0100
From:      Alexander Leidinger <Alexander@Leidinger.net>
To:        qpadla@gmail.com
Cc:        cnst@freebsd.org, arch@freebsd.org, rwatson@freebsd.org, Henrik Brix Andersen <brix@freebsd.org>, freebsd-arch@freebsd.org, imp@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: sensors framework continued (architecture)

Quoting Nikolay Pavlov <qpadla@gmail.com> (from Mon, 26 Nov 2007 =20
19:56:11 +0200):

> On Monday 26 November 2007 15:33:19 Alexander Leidinger wrote:
>> What we discuss in this thread is the kernel<->userland interface. You =
=EF=BF=BD
>> wrote that Linux uses sysfs as the kernel<->userland interface. Poul =EF=
=BF=BD
>> proposes the /dev/sensors special file (not directory) as the =EF=BF=BD
>> kernel<->userland interface, and I propose sysctl as the =EF=BF=BD
>> kernel<->userland interface.
>
> This is file descriptor based interface if i am not mistaken. But it uses
> natural MIB-like directory structure. Isn't this is a compromise?

It would be a compromise from the MIB point of view, but not from the =20
complexity point of view. For a directory structure you need to write =20
a pseudo-fs. This means everything has to go through the several =20
layers (vfs, pseudo-fs, ...). With sysctl you don't need to write that =20
much complex code, as you already have something which handles the MIB =20
thing and you don't go through that much complex layers. =3D> less code, =20
less to debug, less complexity. The discussion in this thread is, that =20
I think a FD based approach (and the additional things Poul proposes =20
to do in the kernel) is overly complex, it can be done in userland =20
(the additional things he proposes t put into the kernel) with =20
existing interfaces (sysctl).

Bye,
Alexander.

--=20
If you sit down at a poker game and don't see a sucker, get up.  You're
the sucker.

http://www.Leidinger.net    Alexander @ Leidinger.net: PGP ID =3D B0063FE7
http://www.FreeBSD.org       netchild @ FreeBSD.org  : PGP ID =3D 72077137