Date:      Mon, 2 Jul 2001 20:32:29 +0200
From:      Anton Berezin <tobez@tobez.org>
To:        Peter Pentchev <roam@orbitel.bg>
Cc:        Mars G Miro <mars@cannoncreek.com>, Valentin Nechayev <netch@segfault.kiev.ua>, freebsd-ports@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: clarification on P5-CGI port

On Mon, Jul 02, 2001 at 01:11:52PM +0300, Peter Pentchev wrote:

> > And yes, that's why I'm stomped -- why installing the CGI.pm 2.76
> > (p5-CGI port) doesn't really install (though a successful install,
> > no errors), and still is v2.46 of the base system ;-(
> >
> > Has anybody really successfully installed CGI.pm v2.76 from the
> > ports?
>
> Why do you think the new CGI module should have an actual CGI.pm
> module? :) I seem to remember somebody stating that as one of the
> differences along the upgrade path - that the new p5-CGI module does
> not have a CGI module per se, but it is broken into parts.

It is not quite like this.  To put it simply, p5-CGI port has basically
nothing to do with CGI.pm as such.  www/p5-CGI has a wrong name, it
should have been called www/p5-CGI-modules, since that what it is.

At some point in the past, there used to be a www/p5-CGI.pm port, which
was removed when a version of perl containing CGI.pm was imported into
the base system.  I would go as far as to claim that that was a mistake.

The forthcoming import of 5.6.1 into -current (and then into -stable) is
supposed to solve the biggest problem with ports containing newer
versions of PM files which are in the base system - currently, even if
such a port exists, and is installed, the older version of a module will
be used if care is not taken, since the perl system path
(/usr/libdata/perl/...) precedes perl local path
(/usr/local/lib/perl5/... in the default @INC array.  This is going to
change.

That said, the revival of the www/p5-CGI.pm port is in order, as well as
the renaming of www/p5-CGI to www/p5-CGI-modules.

\Anton.
--
May the tuna salad be with you.