Date:      Fri, 01 Sep 2000 13:50:47 -0500
From:      Steve Kaczkowski <steve@inc.net>
To:        hardware@freebsd.org
Subject:   3ware anyone ?

Hey all,

Wondering if anyone out there is using  a 3ware IDE RAID card
(Specifically the Escalade 6400) in a fault-tolerant setup? Doing
some searching through the list archives it seems that the drivers
are pretty solid but I still have a couple questions.

First off, is the array bootable without much messing around? Is it as
simple as setting up the metadevice then going through the normal FBSD
install and it's done or are there some gotchas I need to know about?

Secondly, how well does the system's 'RAID-10' work? I realize it's not
RAID-5, but from the info they have on their site it seems that it has
the same kind of functionality. Does the auto rebuild and hot sparing
work as expected, anything weird there?

Lastly, how well does the entire system work, throughput OK, any
data corruption and just generally would you recommend it?

For $250 for the 4 port ATA/66 card and with 60 gig disks coming
in around $200 it's REALLY hard to pass it up, I just hate being
a beta tester.. :)

Looking for any and all info..

Thanks in advance everyone!

--
Steve Kaczkowski	Time Warner Telecom IDD
steve@inc.net          	(414)908-9012