Date:      Wed, 19 Apr 95 12:09:27 MDT
From:      terry@cs.weber.edu (Terry Lambert)
To:        dufault@hda.com (Peter Dufault)
Cc:        dufault@hda.com, hackers@freefall.cdrom.com
Subject:   Re: [DEVFS] your opinions sought!

> BTW: How the heck do permissions work?

Ownership and permissions should be specified by the device itself as
part of the registration information.

Since the device must be there for the device nodes to be valid and
present, and since the devfs is updated by the kernel and can be tied to
kernel events (like load/unload), there is actully no good reason that
this information should be copied to be stored seperately... the only
valid argument is templating of device permissions -- and it is not
very supportable to argue that templating is a better soloution that
simply unloading and reloading the devices (how frequently do you
forsee resetting device permissions?).

Permissions changed ater that (or ownership changes) can occur in the
device itself.  One issue here is in multiple targets for a single
driver; the fact is that for each instance, there must be a name record
generated anyway which will result in a device selector on lookup; the
ownership can be stored as part of that record.

					Terry Lambert
					terry@cs.weber.edu
---
or previous employers.