Date:      Sat, 10 Jun 2000 06:58:42 -0400
From:      Peter Radcliffe <pir@pir.net>
To:        stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: inetd problems

"Chad R. Larson" <chad@DCFinc.com> probably said:
> I can't quote you references right now, but we came to the
> conclusion that the '_' character was invalid in host names.  We had
> similar problems delivering reports to customer's networked printers
> that contained underscores in their names.  We eventually got the
> customer to change the '_' to '-'.

"_" is not a valid character in a name in the IN zone of DNS but is
not invalid in DNS, strictly.

Valid characters in the IN zone are [0-9a-zA-Z-].

bind used to allow _ in names by default, so pople used them. More
recent versions of bind disallow this in primary zones by default (but
you can turn it off in case you arn't serving IN zones) but to only
warn about it in secondary zones.

It's going to take a long time to get rid of all the entries
containing "_" out there, so expect to have to deal with it :/

P.

--
pir                  pir@pir.net                    pir@net.tufts.edu