Date:      Tue, 27 Feb 2001 19:51:03 -0500 (EST)
From:      "Brandon D. Valentine" <bandix@looksharp.net>
To:        Brooks Davis <brooks@one-eyed-alien.net>
Cc:        "O. Hartmann" <ohartman@klima.physik.uni-mainz.de>, FreeBSD-STABLE <freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG>, <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: NIS/YP problems on FBSD 4.2-STABLE

On Tue, 27 Feb 2001, Brooks Davis wrote:

>On Tue, Feb 27, 2001 at 09:50:48PM +0100, O. Hartmann wrote:
>> Well, I'm sorry bothering you again with these problems,
>> but they become serious to me, sorry.
>>
>> My intention was to build up a NIS/YP domain. But it seems
>> to be very complex.

Not to be captious, but it has been my experience that open source
and/or free NIS/YP implementations are not exactly up to scrub.  Most of
them work, to a certain extent, and that seems to be enough.  This holds
true for all of the BSDs and linux.  They tend to work well enough for
basic map sharing, and sometimes only to certain other OSes.  When you
look for things like remote modification of account information, things
can start to break down.  The code in FreeBSD probably works better than
the rest of them, but even it falls down on some of the higher
functionality of NIS.  I genuinely wish I, or somebody better
qualified had the time to write a flexible, extensible, BSD
licensed YP implementation.

--
Brandon D. Valentine <bandix@looksharp.net>
"Few things are harder to put up with than the annoyance of a