Date:      Thu, 25 Mar 1999 13:09:13 -0800 (PST)
From:      Jaye Mathisen <mrcpu@internetcds.com>
To:        hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Ugh, new boot loader/diskless boot problem.

I got a couple boot proms for an Intel PRO100 care from www.incom.de.

Set up my trusty tftp/bootp stuff, card boots a DOS diskette image
remotely just fine.

So then I try a 2.8MB DOS image.  Works fine.

Put fbsdboot.exe and /kernel on the image.   Boots the DOS part fine, but
fbsdboot.exe won't work.

So then I try a kernel.flp diskette from 3.1-stable.  It loads the kernel
floppy fine via TFTP, but then can't start the actual boot process,
failing with a "Read Error".

This PROM boots a SolariS X86 floppy remotely fine.  It boots Linux
floppies fine, it boots DOS floppies fine, but it won't boot our FreeBSD
blocks.

It will not boot a 2.2.8 floppy set of boot blocks either.

Any ideas much appreciated.

I'd really like to remote boot these, and getting this working would be
great for supporting a whole bunches of cards and remote boot, since the
incom people make PROM's for something like 100+ cards...

I would be willing to send a card and PROM to somebody to play with if it
would help...