Date:      Fri, 14 Feb 2020 08:03:06 -0600
From:      Valeri Galtsev <galtsev@kicp.uchicago.edu>
To:        Victor Sudakov <vas@sibptus.ru>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Technological advantages over Linux

> On Feb 14, 2020, at 6:16 AM, Victor Sudakov <vas@sibptus.ru> wrote:
>=20
> Dear Colleagues,
>=20
> Not to start a flame war. A purely technical question: what
> technological advantages does the modern FreeBSD have over modern =
Linux?
>=20
> Several yeas ago I would say ZFS was a killer feature, but now Linux =
has
> ZFS too, and AFAIK FreeBSD is going to migrate to Linux's ZFS
> implementation.
>=20
> What other features do we have to (persuade the management to) prefer
> FreeBSD for new installations?
>=20

I can not comment on technological advantages, I am just humble =
sysadmin, but I can list a few reasons why I fled my servers from Linux =
(CentOS aka =E2=80=9Cbinary replica of RedHat Enterprise=E2=80=9D) to =
FreeBSD:

1. Updates requiring reboot are rare (twice a year at the most), whereas =
Linux on average every 45 day has either kernel or glibc security update =
=3D=3D reboot

2. Somebody mentioned: no systemd/firewalld madness. Add to that binary =
logs, and config files wrapped in XML garbage instead of plain ASCII.

3. jails, that are slim and efficient and allow me compartmentalize =
stuff better, like splitting server and make parts of that host run in =
different jails.

(and the list continues for me)

Valeri

> --=20