Date:      Sat, 26 Jan 2002 17:04:02 -0800
From:      Terry Lambert <tlambert2@mindspring.com>
To:        "Gary W. Swearingen" <swear@blarg.net>
Cc:        David Schultz <dschultz@uclink.Berkeley.EDU>, freebsd-chat@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Why dual boot?

"Gary W. Swearingen" wrote:

[ ... ]

--
It'd be great to have an automatic multiple-diskizer, but I think there
are better things to develop, mainly because I think the number of
people who should use it would be small.  Few (mostly desktop users) with
M$Win installed can easily buy a cheap, small, even used, second disk
and correctly install it with the master/slave jumpers, etc., working
for a dedicated FreeBSD install.  Few of them should risk voiding their
warranty by installing the second disk.  Very few of them would be
willing to back up or able to restore their M$Win.  Even those who ARE
willing will spread the news that FreeBSD too their system off
warranty if the system later blew out due to bugs or drained battery or
other hardware failure and they were refused a replacement because the
seal on their case was broken.

Most of those few who can use a dedicated disk can't even at least get
a good taste of FreeBSD by booting off a CDROM into a memory-based
FreeBSD, since a read-only system is practically useless for any but
toy use.
--

8-) 8-) 8-).

> That experience could be greatly improved if someone would
> make one of those systems that puts FreeBSD filesystems into M$Win files
> (which has likely already been done), esp. if they could write some
> M$Win code to pre-size the fs files and run the defragger before making
> the FS in the file during the FreeBSD install.

The original problem with this is that the FreeBSD FS
stacking code doesn't work well enough to be able to
do the Udo Walter "U-MSDOS" approach using an FS stacking
layer to use a FAT-16 or FAT-32 FS.

The current problem with this is that the FreeBSD NTFS
code, which is what would have to be used for any new
machine, since they come preinstalled with Windows XP
these days, can't successfully write the disk.  This is
mostly a problem with the lack for write code in the FS,
which in turn is because the FreeBSD VFS layer is not
quite correctly organized to permit things like abort
of log operations, and the lack of an "fsck" for NTFS to
permit recovery by FreeBSD, following an improper shutdown.

In other words, it's less work to make the multiboot work.

8-).

-- Terry