Date:      Thu, 9 May 2002 17:53:20 +0000 (GMT)
From:      "E.B. Dreger" <eddy+public+spam@noc.everquick.net>
To:        Terry Lambert <tlambert2@mindspring.com>
Cc:        Attila Nagy <bra@fsn.hu>, hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: per-user or -proc CPU reservation and limits

TL> Date: Thu, 09 May 2002 10:34:33 -0700
TL> From: Terry Lambert

TL> Rice University has been doing that a lot with their
TL> licenses, these days.  I don't know if they would have done
TL> this anyway, or if it's an overreaction on their part to
TL> FreeBSD ignoring their patches.

Eclipse/BSD is a product of Bell Labs... Rice just had a useful
reference.

TL> Since they aren't a publically funded university, I don't
TL> think there is much you can do, unless the work was done
TL> under a DARPA grant, and even then, it would be a pain to
TL> fight.

Noted in case that is ever applicable...

TL> Back to the original topic, though... you might want to ask
TL> Alfred for his CPU affinity patches that he did.  They are

...but this sounds more logical, anyway:  Rather than hassling
with encumbered software, why not extend the work of <all the
goodies going in to 5.0>?

Hmmmm.  I think I need to get 5.0-DP1 installed on a box.  Hey,
Alfred, if you're following the thread... I'm interested in
playing with the patches!  (And if you're not following, I'll
just bug you off-list. *grin*)

TL> more for locking things to a CPU than affinity, but they can
TL> do what you want to do (even though I think what you seem to
TL> want looks more like an SVR4 "fixed" scheduling class).

A quick Google search leads me to believe that you're correct.
Maybe I also need to get my UltraSPARC up and running with
Slowaris and play around a bit.

--
Eddy

Brotsman & Dreger, Inc. - EverQuick Internet Division
Phone: +1 (316) 794-8922 Wichita/(Inter)national
Phone: +1 (785) 865-5885 Lawrence