Date:      Sat, 23 Oct 2004 00:12:01 -0600
From:      "Stephane Raimbault" <segr@hotmail.com>
To:        net@freebsd.org
Subject:   using natd to load balance port 80 to multiple servers

Hi All,

I'm currently using a freebsd box running natd to forward port 80 to several
(5) web servers on private IP's.

I have discovered that natd doesn't handle many requests/second all that
well (seem to choke at about 200 req/second (educated guess))

There are other packet filtering options on FreeBSD and I wonder if I can
use them to do what I'm trying to do with natd.

Would someone be able to point me to documentation or help me have either
ipf/ipfw/pf forward port 80 traffic to private space IP's?

Is there a better way of split port 80 traffic across multiple webservers
that has elduded me?  Other then a comercial content switch that is :)

I've worked with the loadd port and ran into some problems, so I resulted in
simply using some natd syntax to forward port 80 traffic to multiple
servers... Now that seems to have run to it's limitation and I'm wondering
if I can do the same thing with ipf/ipfw/pf as I believe that might be a bit
more efficient.

Any feedback would be appreciated...

Thanks,
Stephane.

Designer Mail isn't just fun to send, it's fun to receive. Use special
stationery, fonts and colors.
  Start enjoying all the benefits of MSNŽ Premium right now and get the
first two months FREE*.