Date:      Tue, 8 Aug 2006 20:10:23 +0200 (CEST)
From:      Laurent LEVIER <llevier@argosnet.com>
To:        FreeBSD-gnats-submit@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   i386/101667: ATA problems when power management is on

>Number:         101667
>Category:       i386
>Synopsis:       ATA problems when power management is on
>Confidential:   no
>Severity:       critical
>Environment:
System: FreeBSD tirion 6.1-RELEASE-p3 FreeBSD 6.1-RELEASE-p3 #0: Fri Jul 14 01:06:28 CEST 2006 root@tirion:/usr/obj/usr/src/sys/TIRION i386

	Hi, since I migrated to FreeBSD 6.0 (in fact I reinstalled the box), I am facing some weird behavior with my data hard drive.
My server is using 2 HD: one for OS (permanently running) and the other for data storage (power management activated). Naturally, when 2nd is not used, it stops running until it is requested again.
On FreeBSD 4.x, HD was restarting, then once ready data was accessible.
On 6.x, I got ATA errors:
ad1: TIMEOUT - READ_DMA retrying (1 retry left) LBA=62098175
ad1: TIMEOUT - READ_DMA retrying (1 retry left) LBA=12127
ad1: TIMEOUT - READ_DMA retrying (1 retry left) LBA=46291583
ad1: TIMEOUT - READ_DMA retrying (1 retry left) LBA=287

Of course, I thought it could be a HD, controler or cabling issue and so performed some tests. At the end, when the only difference is FreeBSD 4.11 vs 6.x, problem no longer exists. So I guess problem comes from 6.x.

Differences between 4.11 & 6.x: APM was present on 4.x and not detected on 6.x.
But ACPI runs and pmtimer is in kernel.

The problem is no annoying that, after a while, the hard drive is purely disconnected by kernel (/u2 not available).

>How-To-Repeat:
	I guess installing 6.x and using an A7M266 Mobo, with its normal ATA100 controler will suffice.

>Fix:

	found the bug? ;-)