Date:      Tue, 21 Aug 2012 11:47:36 -0700
From:      Garrett Cooper <yanegomi@gmail.com>
To:        Doug Barton <dougb@freebsd.org>
Cc:        ports@freebsd.org, Baptiste Daroussin <bapt@freebsd.org>, current@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: pkgng 1.0 release schedule, and HEAD switch to pkgng by default schedule

On Tue, Aug 21, 2012 at 11:17 AM, Doug Barton <dougb@freebsd.org> wrote:
> On 8/21/2012 6:46 AM, Baptiste Daroussin wrote:
>> I would also like to just remove pkg_* tools from RELENG_10 if that fits the
>> schedule.
>
> Um, no?

> What _would_ be useful is what should have been done many years ago when
> it was first suggested: Move the pkg_* tools to ports.

It already exists -- it's just out of date / crufty:

$ make describe
pkg_install-20090902|/usr/ports/ports-mgmt/pkg_install|/usr/local|FreeBSD
-STABLE version of the package
tools|/usr/ports/ports-mgmt/pkg_install/pkg-descr|portmgr@FreeBSD.org|ports-mgmt||||||http://www.freebsd.org/cgi/cvsweb.cgi/src/usr.sbin/pkg_install/

> It's too late for 9.1 already, but if you made that change today in
> HEAD, and after 9.1 (but before 8.4) you MFC it to stable/[89], then you
> could theoretically make pkg mandatory after 9.1 EOLs.
>
> To make my point more clear, the ports tree has to support the last
> release to ship with pkg_* tools in the base throughout its lifetime. To
> do anything else would be be a massive POLA violation.

Agreed.
Thanks,
-Garrett