Date:      Thu, 28 Dec 1995 16:18:03 EDT
From:      "Kaleb S. KEITHLEY" <kaleb@x.org>
To:        "Jordan K. Hubbard" <jkh@time.cdrom.com>
Cc:        hackers@freefall.FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: syscons driver

> > First of, we got to have people willing to write apps 8)
> > X by itself is okay -- hard to use however it is flexible enough so
>
> X won't really be OK until it's easier to *install and configure*. :-(

Lessee.

  Install: %gunzip -c <some XFree86>.tar.gz | tar xf -

Dunno what's so hard about that.

  Configure: Have you tried xvidtune? Look on the CDs WC is shipping.
  Start with one of the Official VESA modes from the modeDB file, start
  the server, then tune it with xvidtune. People who want to tweak the
  last iota of bandwidth should expect to do a little work to calculate
  what their monitor and card can do, and then finish up with xvidtune.

It can be done in five minutes or less, depending on how fast you can
copy lines out of modeDB into XF86Config :-). The last one I set up took
me less than two minutes to set up 1280x1024.

--

Kaleb KEITHLEY