Date:      Tue, 01 Oct 96 19:15:27 PST
From:      BRETT_GLASS@infoworld.com
To:        "Rodney W. Grimes" <rgrimes@GndRsh.aac.dev.com>, michaelv@MindBender.serv.net
Cc:        narvi@haldjas.folklore.ee, obrien@nuxi.cs.ucdavis.edu, freebsd-hardware@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: H/W recommendation

> As can be seen the best parts to be using are the 100, 133, 166 and 200,
> with the exception that at a mulitplier of 3 the CPU starves for memory.

Depends on the cache, and whether you get a Pentium or a Pentium Pro.  A
Pentium Pro with a built-in 512 KB level 2 cache usually won't starve, even
on UNIX boxes. (To put things in perspective, a typical FreeBSD kernel,
with unnecessary drivers removed, is about that size.) But the bargain
basement version of the Pentium Pro, with the 256 KB cache, will drag in
the same configuration.  Unfortunately, far too many clone vendors just
HAPPEN not to mention in their ads that they're including the cheaper CPU.

I'd like to see a megabyte cache on board.

--Brett