Date:      Sun, 04 Dec 2005 23:38:19 -0600
From:      Charles Howse <chowse@charter.net>
To:        "P.U.Kruppa" <root@pukruppa.de>
Cc:        questions <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: Setting up a print-server SOLVED

> On Sat, 3 Dec 2005, Charles Howse wrote:
>=20
>> Hi,
>> I have the task of setting up a FreeBSD box as a print-server for the la=
>> here at home.
>> I've used FreeBSD for quite a while, but am currently just a little rust=
y.
>> I was hoping the list members could help me with planning a strategy, an=
>> possibly point me to some resources for help.  I have my copies of The
>> Handbook and FreeBSD Unleashed at my side.  :-)
>>=20
>> The printers are:
>> HP1100 LaserJet (non-postscript, parallel only)
>> Epson Stylus C86 (postscript, USB only)
>>=20
>> Here is my current list of requirements:
>> My daughter's WinXP Pro SP2 box must be able to print to either printer.
>>=20
>> My Mac OS X Tiger 10.4.3 box must be able to print to either printer.
>>=20
>> (I may not know what I'm talking about here, but) I would prefer IP prin=
ting
>> as the only means of serving the printers, rather than Samba for serving=
>> Windows, AND CUPS or something else for serving to OS X.
> You don't need Samba to set up a printer server for windows. Cups
> will do fine. Printers can be addressed via http then (at least
> on my 6.0 machine).
>=20
> Mail me if you need help with configuration.

Thanks, I will.  Haven't tried printing from Windows yet.

I have just now verified that I've got the dad-gum thing working!
Had to install CUPS (Not that difficult).
I can print from my Mac to the HP1100 on the FreeBSD box!!
TextEdit, Word, Safari, all print properly!!!
The Epson is currently out of ink (blush), but it blinks and whirrs when I
send a test page to it.  :-)

I followd the howto that is the first msg in this forum:
http://www.freebsdforums.org/forums/showthread.php?t=3D15325&highlight=3DPrinti=

When I finished, I went to the Printer Setup Utility on the Mac, and looked
in the browse list, and HOLY-S**T, there they were, my HP1100 and Epson
C86!!!

OH, YEAH!!!
=A0