Date:      Wed, 23 Jul 1997 19:31:05 +0200 (MEST)
From:      Christoph Kukulies <kuku@gilberto.physik.RWTH-Aachen.DE>
To:        freebsd-hackers@freefall.FreeBSD.org
Subject:   cvs and NIS - problem

I don't want to make a problem report out of it at the moment without
having discussed this in the list:

A user came to me today who is maintaing his whole stuff, projects, thesis
and such using cvs - not a bad idea as such.  And during investigating
his problem I came to the conclusion that there might be
some NIS/yp problem.

I created a directory

/a/kuku/cvsroot

on hub.freebsd.org, imported a tree as a new project, and did a checkout
on hub having set my CVSROOT variable to /a/kuku/cvsroot.

Now I went to my local machine (gil) and set my CVSROOT variable to

:ext:kuku@hub.freebsd.org:/a/kuku/cvsroot

and did a

cvs checkout test

I  got:

gil> cvs checkout test
cvs server: Updating test
U test/test.c
gil>

Fine.

Now I do the same on my NIS machine (the NIS server):

toots> cvs checkout test
cvs [checkout aborted]: unknown access method: ext
toots>

(this appears very quickly after launching the command so
 I assume it is a decision taken by the client locally)

What's this?
A NIS problem?

I browsed the cvs source (contrib) but didn't find a
source location that matched the message exactly though it must be
something with the server access method in client.c I suspect.