Date:      Tue, 25 Aug 1998 00:44:48 -0500
From:      "Steve Friedrich" <SteveFriedrich@Hot-Shot.com>
To:        "The Hermit Hacker" <scrappy@hub.org>
Cc:        "FreeBSD Questions" <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: /etc/printcap for samba-shared printer...

On Tue, 25 Aug 1998 01:15:17 -0300 (ADT), The Hermit Hacker wrote:

>	The if filter is the /usr/share/examples/hpif file, for piping
>postscript through ghostscript.
>
>	On the Windoze side, I have the HP 560c drivers loaded, and a
>friend mentioned something about just wanted to pass it through straight,
>but getting rid of the if= line doesn't appear to help, so that's not
>doing it right :(

I think the problem is that under Windows 95, you aren't printing to a postscript printer driver (I, too, have an HP560C and
I've never seen a postscript printer driver for it, at least not from HP).  I think you're printing on Win95 to a standard PCL
printer driver that was shipped with the printer or with Win95.  On the FreeBSD machine, simply copy your existing
printcap entry to another entry and (rename it of course) use a non-postscript filter (get rid of if= part or substitute a filter
that is for PCL).  For anyone who is unaware, PCL is HP's Printer Control Language and there are different levels, like
PCL 3, PCL 4, PCL5, and I think PCL 6.  Each higher, being a superset.  HP sells PCL language reference books...

Let us know if this helps you out... I'm going to be doing the same on my machines in the next few days...