Date:      Tue, 28 Aug 2001 13:26:36 -0700
From:      "Chad R. Larson" <chad@DCFinc.com>
To:        mi@aldan.algebra.com
Cc:        sobomax@FreeBSD.ORG, stable@FreeBSD.ORG, ports@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: support for a.out in ports

On Tue, Aug 28, 2001 at 01:29:15PM -0400, mi@aldan.algebra.com wrote:
> My personal feeling would be quite the opposite -- I think it is cool
> to support this, especially since the framework is already in place
> and is really cheap.

I agree.

> If some developer happens to put the wrong minor number (because
> he/she only works with elf) -- it is an easily fixed PR...  I wish
> there was some way to count the actual number of users who use one way
> or another...

I don't know how to get an auditable count, but I (for one) use both
ELF and a.out and build ports for both.

My servers are running between 2.1.7 and 2.2.8 (with some individual
pieces rebuilt after security fixes), mostly because they do what I
need them to do well enough that it isn't worth an upgrade.

On the other hand, my desktop is 4.3-RELEASE-P12.

It's because of the remarkable stability of FreeBSD that I believe
there are thousands of machines quietly going about their assigned
tasks, somewhat underground.  We shouldn't penalize them just for
being good and quiet.

> 	-mi

	-crl
--
Chad R. Larson (CRL15)   602-953-1392   Brother, can you paradigm?
chad@dcfinc.com         chad@larsons.org          larson1@home.com