Date:      Mon, 20 Oct 2014 19:36:10 +0200
From:      Rainer Duffner <rainer@ultra-secure.de>
To:        David Chisnall <theraven@FreeBSD.org>
Cc:        Craig Rodrigues <rodrigc@FreeBSD.org>, freebsd-advocacy@freebsd.org, freebsd-current Current <freebsd-current@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: Voxer using FreeBSD, BSDNow.tv interview

> Am 20.10.2014 um 10:19 schrieb David Chisnall <theraven@FreeBSD.org>:
>=20
> I presume that most of the relevant differences are for users / =
developers and not sysadmins?  It's worth noting that GNU coreutils, =
tar, bash, and a load of other things are in the ports repository.  I =
wonder if it's worth having a gnu-userland metaport, perhaps with =
something like the Solaris approach of sticking them all in a different =
tree so that you can just add that to the start of your PATH and have =
all of the GNU tools work by default. =20
>=20

They use chef.
The chef omnibus installer assumes there is a /bin/bash. Even the =
FreeBSD version of it. Well, it least it did the last time I looked. =
Maybe this got fixed in the meantime.
Which means that to =E2=80=9Ebootstrap=E2=80=9C a node, you=E2=80=99ve =
first got to install pkg on it, install bash, symlink it to /bin/bash =
and then bootstrap the node.
Which kind of runs against the concept of doing everything via chef.