Date:      Tue, 18 Apr 2017 09:54:21 -0400
From:      qjail1 <qjail1@a1poweruser.com>
To:        "ports@FreeBSD.org" <ports@freebsd.org>,  FreeBSD questions <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.org>
Subject:   Is pkg quarterly  really needed?

I maintain a port and I have users complaining that the pkg system takes
many months before the updated version of my port shows up in the pkg
system.

My response is I tell them to change a line in their
/etc/pkg/FreeBSD.conf file
from url: "pkg+http://pkg.Freebsd.org/${ABI}/quarterly",
to   url: "pkg+http://pkg.Freebsd.org/${ABI}/latest",

The old pkg system never had this quarterly update cycle and I see no
reason to have it now when its so easy to over ride the default.

Why not just change the default to "latest" and save on all the overhead
of the quarterly cycle?