Date:      Mon, 20 Dec 1999 09:23:17 +1100
From:      Harry Woodward-Clarke <Harry.Woodward-Clarke@S1.com>
To:        Steven Cook <sven@harshbutfair.org>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: installing on an alpha

G'day Steven,

> I've just installed FreeBSD on my Alpha and I've run into a problem.
> The install itself went smoothly, but after rebooting I can't work
> out how to boot it. I suspect this should be obvious, but I can't
> get it and the lack of documentation makes things difficult.
>
> So far I've tried the following at the SRM console, all fail:
>
>   >>> boot
>   >>> boot dka300
>   >>> boot -file /kernel dka300
>   >>> boot -file /kernel.GENERIC dka300
>
> What do I need to do to get it to boot?

Dumb question, but I'll ask anyway ;') Are you sure you're booting from
dka300? I know sometimes mVAX and Alphas boot from dkb300 - and for that
matter, I would think that the scsi id could be set to others.
Unfortunately I don't have any DEC equipment docs close by. dka100 also
seems to be a common setting.

See if you can get the fishbones to tell you what devices you have
configured. It's been a year or more, but I think it's ">>> show device"
:'/

Sorry I couldn't give you a 'pat' answer, but hopefully you'll nut it
out :')

Regards,

|-|