Date:      Tue, 15 Mar 2016 19:59:26 -0400
From:      am_dxer@fastmail.fm
To:        Konstantin Belousov <kostikbel@gmail.com>, Ed Maste <emaste@freebsd.org>
Cc:        "freebsd-x11@freebsd.org" <freebsd-x11@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: i915 update to Linux 3.8 ready!

On Tue, Mar 15, 2016, at 01:19 PM, Konstantin Belousov wrote:
> On Tue, Mar 15, 2016 at 11:40:13AM -0400, Ed Maste wrote:
> > There should be some rc6 stats we can obtain from the driver (in order
> > to see how much time the hw is spending in each state) but I'm not
> > sure how off hand. I'll follow up if I find out how to get them.
>
> Perhaps sysctl hw.dri.0.info.i915_drpc_info.

Thank you both for the suggestions. After suspending and resuming the
machine, I find that the power used by the GPU is significantly less.
Below is two runs of the suggested command. The first was from before I
suspended the machine and the second was after I woke the laptop back
up. From this output, it seems that the GPU is entering a deeper sleep
state after resuming from suspend when comparing the "Current RC state"
and "RC6++ residency since boot" from the two outputs. The estimation of
time until battery depletion from "acpiconf" also increased after
resuming the machine. The tests were done from the console after loading
the i915kms driver. Since i have no vision, I had to think a bit of how
I would accomplish this. I ended up capturing the output from the
console by using the script command to save the info to a file.
Afterwords, I booted back into Mate and used cat to display the file on
Mate Terminal which my screen reading program supports.

Before Suspending:
hw.dri.0.info.i915_drpc_info: RC information accurate: yes
Video Turbo Mode: yes
HW control enabled: yes
SW control enabled: no
RC1e Enabled: no
RC6 Enabled: yes
Deep RC6 Enabled: yes
Deepest RC6 Enabled: yes
Current RC state: on
Core Power Down: no
RC6 "Locked to RPn" residency since boot: 0
RC6 residency since boot: 203836837
RC6+ residency since boot: 0
RC6++ residency since boot: 0
RC6   voltage: 450mV
RC6+  voltage: 245mV
RC6++ voltage: 245mV

After Resuming:
hw.dri.0.info.i915_drpc_info: RC information accurate: yes
Video Turbo Mode: yes
HW control enabled: yes
SW control enabled: no
RC1e Enabled: no
RC6 Enabled: yes
Deep RC6 Enabled: yes
Deepest RC6 Enabled: yes
Current RC state: RC6
Core Power Down: no
RC6 "Locked to RPn" residency since boot: 0
RC6 residency since boot: 717780
RC6+ residency since boot: 0
RC6++ residency since boot: 19374295
RC6   voltage: 450mV