Date:      Sat, 04 Feb 2012 21:56:26 -0700
From:      Chris Jones <chris@cjones.org>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   gpt zfs raidz1 boot failure

I have a raidz1 in degraded mode, with only 1 disk available. When I try
to boot it, I get this:

ZFS: can only boot from disk, mirror, raidz1, raidz2 and raidz3 vdevs
ZFS: i/o error - all block copies unavailable
ZFS: can't read MOS
ZFS: unexpected object set type 0
...followed by a couple of attempts to load maxroot/boot/kernel/kernel.

I've carefully followed the instructions at
http://wiki.freebsd.org/RootOnZFS/GPTZFSBoot/9.0-RELEASE -- except that
I'm starting with a degraded zfs so I can transition my data from
gmirror. Here's more system info:

maxwell$ uname -a
FreeBSD maxwell.cjones.org 9.0-RELEASE FreeBSD 9.0-RELEASE #0: Tue Jan
3 07:15:25 UTC 2012
root@obrian.cse.buffalo.edu:/usr/obj/usr/src/sys/GENERIC  i386

maxwell# gpart show ada2
=>       34  488281183  ada2  GPT  (232G)
          34        128     1  freebsd-boot  (64k)
         162  488281055     2  freebsd-zfs  (232G)

maxwell# zpool status
   pool: maxroot
  state: DEGRADED
status: One or more devices has been taken offline by the administrator.
         Sufficient replicas exist for the pool to continue functioning in a
         degraded state.
action: Online the device using 'zpool online' or replace the device with
         'zpool replace'.
  scan: none requested
config:

         NAME                     STATE     READ WRITE CKSUM
         maxroot                  DEGRADED     0     0     0
           raidz1-0               DEGRADED     0     0     0
             ada2p2               ONLINE       0     0     0
             8747991784175675917  OFFLINE      0     0     0  was
/usr/bigfile

errors: No known data errors

The errors seem to indicate that it's getting to the first- and
second-stage bootstrap, but it's unable to load /boot/zfsloader;
correct? The first line of error text seems to indicate that the
bootstrap thinks my pool isn't a raidz1; but the output of zpool says
otherwise. Any thoughts?

Chris