Date:      Mon, 17 Dec 2001 11:05:49 -0500
From:      devin-freebsdquestions@rintrah.org
To:        Jan Grant <Jan.Grant@bristol.ac.uk>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: "private" DNS by-passing my ISPs? (Was: Re: /etc/hosts...)

On Mon, Dec 17, 2001 at 01:41:04PM +0000, Jan Grant wrote:
> On Mon, 17 Dec 2001, Martin Karlsson wrote:
>
> > Any particular pitfalls I should avoid when setting one up? A link to a
> > good tutorial? Everything is welcome...
>
> Ironically,
> 	http://www.linuxdoc.org/HOWTO/DNS-HOWTO-3.html
> looks reasonable. I'm also given to understand that djbdns works well in
> this regard; it's also odds-on to have fewer security concerns than
> ISC's bind :-/

[snip]

djbdns has 2 parts:

one is a caching name server called dnscache. All this
program does is query the root servers and cache responses.

I've always found this perfect for my needs, and there's no need to
learn the complexities of bind configuration. And you can install it from
ports.

No need to bother setting up the other half of djbdns, which is a
local name server called tinydns.

--devin