Date:      Fri, 10 Sep 1999 00:24:05 -0600
From:      Brett Glass <brett@lariat.org>
To:        Terry Lambert <tlambert@primenet.com>, unfurl@dub.net (Bill Swingle)
Cc:        jkh@zippy.cdrom.com, freebsd-chat@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Market share and platform support

At 11:36 PM 9/9/99 +0000, Terry Lambert wrote:

>I think the issue that is sticky is who controls the trademark
>registration, and who is allowed to use the trademark, and in
>what way?

That's sure one issue. As I've mentioned earlier, there should be
a clear, unambiguous statement about this posted prominently
on the FreeBSD Web site. It should say something like:

Trademark Policy

The trademark FreeBSD (hereinafter, "the Mark") is the property of
<whoever>. <Whoever> grants to all comers a perpetual, irrevocable
right to use the Mark to advertise related products, services, and
derivative works, without charge, provided that the following
conditions are met:

<Release of liability>
<Requirement to state that <whoever> owns the mark>

<etc.>

>Historically, things have been pretty lax, since CheapBytes hasn't
>had any problems.  The largest risk they have using the trademark
>without permission is needing to pay their profits to whoever has
>the trademark, and then cease and desist.
>
>I think that if someone is throwing a lot of money at a FreeBSD
>distribution without additional means of income, they'd want some
>form of letter of consent from the trademark holder.

I would.

>Given the obvious love between Brett and Jordan... 8-).

I bear no animus against Jordan. I disagree with some
of his marketing strategies and priorities, and think
that his influence over the project, coupled with these,
may have hurt FreeBSD. But as I've said many times before,
disagreement is fine. I disagree with my wife on some
issues, too, and we still have a wonderful, loving
relationship.

--Brett Glass